This site synthesizes readings pertinent to cultural foods and therapeutic meal patterns to provide a complete view of the social, historical, and health contexts of foods. From the list below, select the week’s theme and check your syllabus for the assigned readings. All other readings are recommended.
OER Textbooks about food, culture, and/or dietetics
Food Studies: Matter, Meaning, Movement. (2022). Editors David Szanto; Amanda Di Battista; and Irena Knezevic. Food Studies Press. Ottawa, CA.
Food, Diversity, and Cultural Competence/Humility in dietetics practice
- Setiloane KT. (2016). Beyond the Melting Pot and Salad Bowl Views of Cultural Diversity: Advancing Cultural Diversity Education of Nutrition Educators. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 48(9), 664-668.e1.
- Goody, CM and Drago, L. (2009). Using Cultural Competence Constructs to Understand Food Practices and Provide Diabetes Care and Education. Diabetes Spectrum, 22(1), 43-47.
- Slow Food in a Fat Society: Satisfying Ethical Appetites
- “If They Only Knew”: Color Blindness and Universalism in California Alternative Food Institutions
- Hassel, C. (2012). Nutrition Education: Toward a framework of Cultural Awareness? Whole Grains Summit, American Association of Cereal Chemists.
Theories & Tools to Develop Cultural Humility and Competence
- Rethinking the Concept of Acculturation: Implications for Theory and Research
- Campinha-Bacote, J. (2002). The Process of Cultural Competence in the Delivery of Healthcare Services: A Model of Care. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 13(3), 181-184.
- Arrendondo, P, Toporek, R, Brown, SP, Sanchez, J, Locke, DC, Sanchez, J, Stadler, H. (1996). Operationalization of the Multicultural Counseling Competencies. Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, 24(1), 42-78.
- Cultural Competence Self-assessment Checklist. (2015). Central Vancouver Island Multicultural Society.
- Multicultural Counseling Competencies as Tools to Address Oppression and Racism. (1999). Journal of Counseling and Development, 77(1), 102-108.
- Communication Patterns and Assumptions of Differing Cultural Groups in the United States
Cultural Humility in Food and Dietetics in pop culture
- In Defense of Cultural Appropriation, New York Times, June 2017
- What Americans Can Learn From Other Food Cultures, Ideas.TED.com, 2014
- My column’s name does a disservice to the immigrants whose food I celebrate. So I’m dropping it. – The Washington Post, January 2, 2019
- What did ‘authenticity’ mean in 2019? – Eater, December 3, 2019
- Southern Food Alliance film series: Diane Williams: Stick of Finger of Love in There
- The Sporkful Podcast, Other People’s Food (all episodes available via link), 2016
Worldwide Food Overviews
What the World Eats: This National Geographic page provides interactive infographics and details about dietary patterns for many regions (1961-2011)