Traditional Foods and Customs
Health and Disease
- Spicing up your advice for South Asian and Anglo-Australians with type 2 diabetes and CVD: Do cultural constructions of diet matter?
- Moderate fish intake reduces risk of Depression in Japanese (PDF)
- Food for thought: A traditional Okinawan diet may help prolong life
Social, Political, and/or Historical Context
- Rude, Emelyn. (2016). A Very Brief History of Chinese Food in America, Time Magazine.
- The Foods of the Worlds: Mapping and Comparing Contemporary Gastrodiplomacy Campaigns (PDF)
- Mishan, Ligaya. (2018). The Chefs Redefining Polynesian Cuisine.
- Ancient Japanese Food Craft Brings Persimmons To American Palates
- A Different Asian American Timeline
- ‘Chinese Restaurant Syndrome’ – what is it and is it racist? – BBC News (01/2020)
- Wahlstedt A, Bradley E, Castillo J, and Burt KG. (2021). MSG Is A-OK: Exploring the Xenophobic History of and Best Practices for Consuming Monosodium Glutamate. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, published online Mar 4 2021.
- Otterman, S. (2019). A White Restaurateur Advertised ‘Clean’ Chinese Food. Chinese-Americans Had Something to Say About It.
- Mukherjea A, Asian Indian Views on Diet and Health in the United States: Importance of Understanding Cultural and Social Factors to Address Disparities. Journal of Family and Community Health, 36(4), 311-323.