Traditional Foods and Customs
- Mediterranean Diet Pyramid
- Countries of Europe – a link to a list of 41 countries and/or regions. Each section describes the staple foods, meal patterns, cooking techniques, and food-related customs and traditions.
- EU Public Health Association’s Report on Healthy and Sustainable Diets (2017) (PDF) (see pages 21-26 for dietary patterns)
Health and Disease
- Adamsson V, Reumark A, Cederholm T, Vessby B, Risérus U, Johansson G. (2012). What is a healthy Nordic diet? Foods and Nutrients in the NORDIET study. Journal of Food and Nutrition Research, 56, 1-8.
- Laffond A, Rivera-Picón C, Rodríguez-Muñoz PM, Juárez-Vela R, Ruiz de Viñaspre-Hernández R, Navas-Echazarreta N, Sánchez-González JL. (2023). Mediterranean Diet for Primary and Secondary Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality: An Updated Systematic Review. Nutrients, 28(15), 3356.
Social, Political, and/or Historical Context
- Gastronationalism: Food Traditions and Authenticity Politics in the European Union
- NPR’s The Salt: How Snobbery Helped Take the Spice out of European Cooking
- The New Yorker: What Brexit Means for British Food
- Josling T. (2006). The War on Terroir: Geographical Indications as a Transatlantic Trade Conflict. Journal of Agricultural Economics, 57(3), 337-363.
- Meneley, A. (2007). Like an Extra Virgin. American Anthropologist, 109(4), 678-687.
- Bacalhau à Brás (Portugal)
- British Scotch Eggs
- Colcannon (Irish)
- French Onion Soup
- German Cider-Braised Red Cabbage
- Italian Polenta with Sausage Gravy
- Italian Radicchio, Fennel, and Olive Panzanella
- Italian Beet and Ricotta Gnocchi with Wilted Beet Greens and Aged Balsamic
- Kroppkakor (Swedish Potato Dumplings Stuffed with Bacon and Onion)
- Lancashire Cheese-and-Onion Pie
- Laugenbrezel (Traditional German Pretzels)
- Norwegian Apple Cake
- Pan Fried Salt Cod Chips (Fritas de Bacalhau)
- Pierogi (Russia)
- Polish Poppy Seed Roll (Makowiec)
- Polish Stuffed Cabbage (Gołąbki)
- Portugese Kale Soup
- Spanish Meatballs (Albondigas en Salsa)
- Tortilla Española
- Traditional Irish Soda Bread