Traditional Foods and Customs
- Online textbook: Native Americans: Staple foods, meal patterns, cooking techniques, etc.
- Guts and Grease: The Diet of Native Americans
- The Revival of Indigenous Subsistence Whaling Hangs in the Balance (Civil Eats, 2/2022)
- Craig, Nephi, “Native American Cuisine and Culinary Culture” (2019). Visiting Lectures. Paper 6.
- An Indigenous Corn Makes a Comeback – Civil Eats
- The Wild and Native Foods We Should Be Eating, Civil Eats, 2016
Health and Disease
- Sarche, M, Spicer, P. (2008). Poverty and Health Disparities for American Indian and Alaska Native Children: Current Knowledge and Future Prospects, Annual Meeting of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1136, 126-136.
- Native American Tribe Has Highest Rate of Adult Onset Diabetes Worldwide, Voice of America News, 2009
Social, Political, and/or Historical Context
- First Nation’s Development Institute: Food Sovereignty Assessment Tool, 2nd Edition (login required) (for Native American Communities)
- Malcolm Gladwell in The New Yorker: The Pima Paradox (New Yorker login required)
- The Atlantic: Why Isn’t Native American Food Hip?
- Time Magazine: The Thanksgiving Tale We Tell Is a Harmful Lie. As a Native American, I’ve Found a Better Way to Celebrate the Holiday
- The Table Underground: Episode 26: The True History & Foods of Thanksgiving
- North America’s Original Cuisine – Foodways with Jessica Sanchez, Episode 8
- I-Collective [website, for articles, podcasts, etc, go to the press page]
- Bowery Boys Podcast: Land of the Lenape: A Violent Tale of Conquest and Betrayal
- Building Indigenous Food Sovereignty with the Hua Parakore Organic Framework, Happen Films, 2021.
- All My Relations Podcast (Matika Wilbur, Desi Small-Rodriguez & Adrienne Keene): Food Sovereignty: A Growing Movement, 2019
- Point of Origin Podcast: Episode 20, Indigenous Foodways: The Decolonized Diet, April 2020.
- A Return to Native Agriculture (Civil Eats, January 2022)