Traditional Foods and Customs
Health and Disease
- Asian Indian Views on Diet and Health in the United States: Importance of Understanding Cultural and Social Factors to Address Disparities
- American Associations of Physicians of Indian Origin’s Indian Food: AAPI’s guide to nutrition, health and diabetes (PDF) (2011)
Social, Political, and/or Historical Context
- Avieli N. (2016). The Hummus Wars Revisited. Gastronomica, 16(3), 19-30.
- Varman, R. (2017). Curry. Journal of Consumption & Markets, 20(4), 350-356
- The Washington Post: Scientists have figured out what makes Indian food so delicious
- The Washington Post: Why delicious Indian Food is surprisingly unpopular in the US
- Narain, A. (2021). Anti-racism Daily: Explore the origins of cuisine.
- Sahgal N, Evans J, Salazar A, Starr KJ, Corichi M. (2021). Religion and Food: Religion in India: Tolerance and Segregation. Pew Research Center.
- Dutta N (2020). Reclaiming Indian Food from the White Gaze. Eater.
- Venugopal, A. (2014). Is Everything More Delicious When You Eat With Your Hands? NPR: The Salt.
- Jain A, Rakhi NK, Bagler G. Spices form the basis of food pairing in Indian cuisine.